WWRP Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research (JWGFVR)
JWGFVR plans and facilitates the development and application of improved diagnostic verification methods to assess and enable improvement of the quality of weather forecasts, including forecasts from numerical weather and climate models. It also collaborates on forecast verification with the Working Group on Numerical Experimentation (WGNE) and the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). JWGFVR will engage in the plans and implementation of the verification component of WWRP projects from the outset.
Working Group Members
- Co-Chair: Barbara CASATI, Environment Canada
- Co-Chair: Caio COELHO, CPTEC/INPE
- Raghavendra ASHRIT, NCMRWF
- Jing CHEN, CMA
- Manfred DORNINGER, University of Vienna
- Eric GILLELAND, NCAR
- Thomas HAIDEN, ECMWF
- Stephanie LANDMAN, SAWS
- Chiara MARSIGLI, DWD
- Marion MITTERMAIER, UKMO
Recent Activities and News
- 👉 WGJFVR/HIWeather | Winners of the 2nd International Verification Challenge for the Best New Verification Metric Making Use of Non-Traditional Observations
- 👉 November 2020 around-the-clock International Verification Methods Workshop Online (2020-IVMW-O)
- 👉 Verification tutorials: MPE-CDT & JWGFVR: Forecast verification summer school
Past International Workshops
- 9-20 November 2020, Online: 8th International Verification Method Workshop (Barbara Casati) https://jwgfvr.univie.ac.at
- 3-11 May 2017, Berlin: 7th International Verification Workshop & Tutorials (Martin Goeber) https://www.7thverificationworkshop.de
- Dorninger et al (2018) ed. Met Zet special issue;
- Dorninger et al (2020) ed. Met Apps special issue.
- 13-19 March 2014, New Delhi: 6th International Verification Workshop & Tutorials (Raghu Ashrit)
- 1-7 Dec 2011, Melbourne: 5th International Verification Workshop & Tutorials (Beth Ebert)
- Ebert et al (2013) Met Apps, review article
- 4 -10 June 2009, Helsinki: 4th International Verification Workshop & Tutorials (Pertti Nurmi) https://space.fmi.fi/Verification2009/
- 31 Jan – 2 Feb 2007, Reading: 3rd International Verification Workshop & Tutorials (Anna Ghelli) https://www.ecmwf.int/en/learning/workshops-and-seminars/past-workshops/2007-international-verification-methods
- Ebert and Ghelli (2008) ed. Met Apps Special Issue
- Casati et al (2008) Met Apps, review article
- 15-17 Sept 2004, Montreal: 2nd International Verification Workshop (Laurie Wilson)
- 30 July – 1 Aug 2002, Boulder: “Making Verification More Meaningful” (Barb Brown)
Activities and Links
- Spatial Verification Intercomparison Projects
- Forecast Verification FAQ web page
- Join the Verification Discussion Group, a discussion forum for verification related questions, and a distribution mailing list for announcements related to verification research activities (e.g., workshops, tutorials).
JWGFVR verification recommendation reports and WMO publications
- WWRP 2017-1, B.Casati, T. Haiden, B. Brown, P. Nurmi and J.-F. Lemieux (2017) “Verification of Environmental Prediction in Polar Regions: Recommendations for the Year of Polar Prediction"
- WMO 1132, L.J. Wilson, … (2014 “Forecast Verification for the African Severe Weather Forecasting Demonstration Projects”
- WWRP 2013-7, B.G. Brown, E.E Ebert, T.Fowler, E.Gilleland, P.Kucera, L.J. Wilson (2013) “Verification Methods for Tropical Cyclone Forecasts” WWRP/WGNE Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research, WWRP 2013-7, 89 pp.
- WWRP 2012-1, M. Mittermaier, A. Ghelli, E.E. Ebert, L.J. Wilson, P. Nurmi (2012) “Recommended Methods for Evaluating Cloud and Related Parameters”. WWRP/WGNE Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research, WWRP 2012-1, 34 pp.
- WWRP 2009-1, L.J. Wilson, … (2009) “Recommendations for the Verification and Intercomparison of QPFS and PQPFS from Operational NWP Models” – Revision 2, WWRP/WGNE Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research, - October 2008 (WWRP 2009-1, WMO TD No. 1485), 37 pp.
- WWW-8, WMO/TD-No. 358, H.R. Stanski, L.J. Wilson, and W.R. Burrows (1989) “A Survey of Common Verification Methods in Meteorology”, 81 pp.