Regional and Representative Offices (ROs)
The WMO Regional and Representative Offices provide services to its Members, contributing in the most effective manner to sustainable development in the WMO Regions.
The services consider the particular needs of Regions, taking into account the best interests of WMO as a whole.
The cross-cutting regional services provide two-way communication between the Members and the Secretariat, and support its Members in:
- defining the regional priorities;
- developing the strategies for the Region and for individual NMHSs, where missing;
- supporting the dialogue of the Permanent Representatives with the governments;
- implementing the WMO and Regional Operating Plans;
- resource mobilizing and donor advise;
- maintaining the country profile database as a central source for the whole WMO;
- management training for Permanent Representatives;
- building partnerships with relevant regional and sub-regional organizations, inter-governmental and economic groupings, etc.
For more information, click HERE to access the public web site.
Under the general guidance of Congress and the Executive Council and with support from the Secretariat, each regional association, in close coordination and collaboration with other bodies concerned, shall carry out the functions specified in Article 18 (d) of the Convention.
The effectiveness of Regional activities and their contribution to the WMO strategic objectives depends on the available Secretariat support through adequately resourced and properly geographically located WMO Regional offices and field (sub-regional offices).