GBON - Global Basic Observing Network
The Global Basic Observing Network (GBON) paves the way for a radical overhaul of the international exchange of observational data, which underpin all weather, climate and water services and products.
Local weather forecasts depend on access to 24/7 global observations. But there are large geographical gaps in availability. In some parts of the world observations are either not made or not exchanged internationally, and in other parts they are not made or exchanged frequently enough.
GBON is a fundamental element of WIGOS. It represents a new approach in which the basic surface-based observing network is designed, defined and monitored at the global level. Once implemented, GBON will improve the availability of the most essential surface-based data, which will have a direct positive impact on the quality of weather forecasts, thus helping improve the safety and well-being of citizens throughout the world.
Following 2021 Extraordinary World Meteorological Congress decisions, the following activities have been initiated:
1) GBON Implementation and compliance monitoring: Technical Regulations for GBON will come into force on 1 January 2023. The Infrastructure Commission is tasked to develop technical guidelines, processes and procedures needed to ensure expedient and efficient implementation of GBON, and to prepare for effective performance and compliance monitoring of GBON. GBON can be implemented relatively quickly by most WMO Members in the developed world. But in many developing countries additional investment and capacity development will be needed. To that end WMO will be working closely with the international development and climate finance communities.
2) GBON expansion in other domains: Today, GBON Technical Regulations are based on the requirements of Global Numerical Weather Prediction and Climate Data re-Analysis. The Infrastructure Commission is investigating expansion of GBON in other domains, starting with hydrology and cryosphere, and then climate monitoring, ocean and atmospheric composition. This is a longer effort, and principles for GBON expansion are being developed to be followed by roadmaps for specific domains.
- Cg-Ext(2021): Introductory presentations on WMO Unified Data Policy, GBON and SOFF and GBON
- Cg-Ext(2021): Resolutions on WMO Unified Data Policy (Res.1), GBON (Res.2) and SOFF (Res.3)
- Systematic Observations Financing Facility