• Review user requirements for the observations related to the three atmospheric composition application areas: atmospheric monitoring, forecasting, and urban applications in support of the WMO Rolling Review of Requirements (RRR);
• Review and harmonize user requirements for the atmospheric composition variables in the other WMO application areas;
• Regularly update the user requirements in the OSCAR database;
• Assess current observational capabilities in light of user requirements;
• Summarize recommendations on integrated network design in Statements of Guidance for each application area and advise on the network development to the GAW Programme and relevant partners.
Interface with SAGs
• Work closely with thematic SAGs on collection of the user requirement for specific parameters under different applications and on the evaluation of the observational capabilities;
• Work with SAG-Apps to better understand user requirements across the applications from the integrated modelling perspective.
Interface with Expert Teams
• Advise ET-ACDM on additions and modifications of parameter definitions, and available in situ observational capabilities in the GAW World Data Centres and in GAWSIS;
• Communicate to ET-ACMQ on the emerging observational capabilities and the needs for quality assurance procedures of those new elements.
Interface with GAW initiatives steering committees
• Coordinate the collection and reviews of observational requirements from the science-for-services initiatives to ensure their incorporation in the broader RRR process.
Interface with WMO groups
• Collaborate with the relevant WMO group in particular under the Technical Commission on Infrastructure on harmonization of requirements for atmospheric composition variables and Essential Climate Variables across WMO application areas and programmes (e.g., GCOS);
• Collaborate with WCRP, WWRP, and other programmes as appropriate on development of the Statements of Guidance.
Interface with external users and partners
• Work closely with modelling centres to provide guidance on the optimized network design for specific applications;
• Communicate with partner organizations concerning the observational gaps identified in the Statement of Guidance.