(1) Follow up on the WMO Strategic Plan; World Meteorological Congress, Executive Council and Regional Association VI resolutions, decisions and recommendations addressing hydrology and water-related matters, for the activities to be undertaken at a regional level,
(2) Identify needs, gaps and requirements of Member States of the region as related to operational hydrology and propose activities to address them,
(3) Keep abreast of the global development of hydrological-related matters and identify those aspects with regional implications, connecting the global and national level, and promote a common approach and intra- and inter-regional cooperation and collaboration with regional relevant UN organizations (such as the UN Economic Commission for Europe - UNECE) and key regions,
(4) Promote a culture of compliance with WMO regulatory material regarding hydrology in National Meteorological and Hydrological Services and encourage among Members the implementation of WMO recommendations related to hydrology,
(5) Facilitate regional cooperation in hydrological matters through the exchange and uptake of experience, technology, research, education and training to meet the needs of Members regarding operational hydrology and its application to water resources management,
(6) Invite the presidents of the technical commissions and the chairs of the Research Board and the Hydrological Coordination Panel to contribute to the dialogue and activities of the assembly,
(7) Evaluate the progress and achievements, and guide the future working plans of the regional infrastructure, services and research working groups with respect to hydrology and water resources management matters,
(8) Enhance regional hydrological specialists’ representation in the WMO expert network and propose remedial measures should gaps in professional, geographical or gender representation be found.