WICAP Data Policy
The Data Policy will provide a basis for, and an understanding of how AMDAR data that is made available by participating, Partner Airlines, can be used by Data Users, including both the WMO Member National Meteorological & Hydrological Services (NMHS) as well as Third Parties entities and data users that are not program partners.
When finalised by IATA and WMO in consultation with their respective Members, the Data Policy will be appended to the Working Arrangement between the two organizations that governs the collaboration on WICAP.
Once agreed and formalised, the Data Policy will then be referenced or integrated within all WICAP-related agreements that are established between programme partners and data users.
Under the agreed principles of WICAP, the following summarises the basis for the policy that will be fully established in detail by the WICAP Governing Board (GB):
- The GB will define AMDAR Data Policy to achieve the purposes of WICAP and in accordance with the applicable WMO Legal Framework, the WICAP Legal Framework, and in consultation with participating airlines.
- The terms of the data policy will be annexed to the contracts between each WICAP Operator and each participating airline.
- All WMO Members will be licensed and retain full rights to freely use all AMDAR data produced under WICAP and provided on the WMO Information System (WIS) in compliance with all Principles of WICAP and in compliance with WMO’s Resolutions and Regulations applicable to AMDAR data.
- The ownership of original AMDAR data, as defined by the GB in the AMDAR Data Policy, will be retained by participating airlines.
- WMO Members will have and retain full ownership of any meteorological products and services, as defined by the GB in the AMDAR Data Policy and as derived or developed by them, from the use of AMDAR data by NMHSs.