RA I Tropical Cyclone Committee - South-West Indian Ocean
Regional Association I - Tropical Cyclone Committee for the South-West Indian Ocean
Established in 1973 (Resolution 47 (72-RA I), EC-25 (1973))
RSMC La Réunion Tropical Cyclone Centre - designated as such 01 July 1993. (Resolution 4 (EC-XLV), 1993)
Members - joint the Committee in
Botswana - 1994
Comoros - 1973
Eswatini - 1986
France - 1973 (RSMC La Réunion - Tropical Cyclone Centre)
Kenya - 2007
Lesotho - 1998
Madagascar - 1973
Malawi - 1973
Mauritius - 1973
Mozambique - 1978
Namibia - 2007
Seychelles - 1978
South Africa - 1994
United Republic of Tanzania - 1973
Zimbabwe - 1986
Mr Emmanuel CLOPPET
Météo-France / Direction Interrégionale pour l'Océan Indien
50 boulevard du Chaudron
97490 Sainte-Clotilde, FRANCE
English and French
Upcoming and Recent Activities
Activities after 2012 can be found @ https://community.wmo.int/tropical-cyclone-programme-tcp-events-and-activities
- The Sixth RA I Training Course on Tropical Cyclones was held at the RSMC La Réunion from 28 October to 8 November 2013 .
- The 20th session of the RA I TCC will be held in Maputo, Mozambique from 3 to 7 September 2012.
- The Fifth RA I Training Course on Tropical Cyclones was held at the RSMC La Réunion from 2 to 13 November 2010.
- The 19th session of the RA I TCC will be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 20 to 24 September 2010.
- The 18th session of the RA I TCC will be held in Lilongwe, Malawi from 6 to 10 October 2008, co-joint with DRR Project Planning Meeting for Early Warning System.
- The 17th session of the RA I TCC was held in Gaborone, Botswana from 3 to 7 October 2005.
- The Third RA I Training Course on Tropical Cyclones was held at the RSMC La Réunion from 27 October to 5 November 2003.
- The 16th session of the RA I TCC was held in Maputo, Mozambique in September 2003.
- The Chairman of the RA I/TCC, Mr S.N. Sok Appadu (Mauritius) as an ex-officio member, attended the RA V/TCC-IX which was held in Manila, Philippines from 16 to 20 May 2002
- The 2002 edition (English and French versions) of the Tropical Cyclone Operational Plan for the South-West Indian Ocean was published by WMO in January 2002
- Second RA I Training Course on Tropical Cyclones and Public Weather Services (Saint Denis, La Réunion, 29 October to 9 November 2001)
- The 15th session of RA I Tropical Cyclone Committee for the South-West Indian Ocean was held in Moroni, Comoros, from 4 to 10 September 2001 and was attended by representatives from the 13 Members. Australia and Kenya participated as ex-officio members
- The RSMC La Réunion - Tropical Cyclone Centre published a bilingual (French and English) report on "Cyclone Season 1999-2000 in the South-West Indian Ocean" on September 2001
- A four-year Meteorological Cooperation Project (1.8 million Euros) for the Indian Ocean Commission Member States (Comoros, France, Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles) was adopted on 1 February 2000 by the European Commission. The Chairman of the project's Executive Committee is the Director of the RSMC La Réunion - Tropical Cyclone Centre
- The Tropical Cyclone Center in La Réunion held a training workshop on tropical cyclones from 8 to 19 November 1999. This workshop was organized in conjunction with WMO under its Tropical Cyclone Programme
A Cyclone Research Cell was set up at the RSMC La Rèunion in 1999.
Météo-France distributed the publication entitled ``Publication du Centre des Cyclones Tropicaux de la Réunion``in early 1999
- A consultative mission of the Director of RSMC La Réunion, Mr Alain Soulan (France) was undertaken to visit the TCP Division of the WMO Headquarters in Geneva on 17 to 18 May 1999 which included a discussion on coordinating an RA I Training Course on Tropical Cyclones (Saint-Denis, La Réunion, 8 to 19 November 1999)
- Attachments of forecasters from Madagascar, Mauritius and United Republic of Tanzania to the RSMC La Réunion were undertaken during the 1998/1999 cyclone season (1 November 1998-30 Apri1 1999)
- The RSMC La Réunion-Tropical Cyclone Centre (with English translation assistance of the sub-regional Tropical Cyclone Centre in Mauritius) published a bilingual (French & English) report on ``Cyclone Season 1997-1998 in the South-West Indian Ocean``in December 1998
- The Chairman of the Committee submitted a document to the 12th Session of RA I (Arusha, United Republic of Tanzania, 14 to 23 October 1998). The Session accepted Lesotho to become the 13th Member of the Committee, re-designated Mr Vaghjee as Chairman of the Committee and invited Australia to designate an expert to serve as an ex-officio member of RAI/TCC on behalf of the RAV/TCC.
- The Chairman of the Committee, Mr R.R. Vaghjee, attended the 7th Session of the RA V Tropical Cyclone Committee for the South Pacific and South-East Indian Ocean (Denpasar, Indonesia, 8 to 12 September 1998)
- A tropical cyclone expert, Dr Beenay Pathack (Mauritius), carried out a mission to Australia from 3 July to 15 August 1998, with a view to updating the Madagascar Tropical Cyclone Workstation at the BOM in Melbourne and to familiarize with the Australian Regional Tropical Warning Services in Perth
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
ICAO Secretariat >> Air Navigation Bureau >> Meteorology
"... to establish International Standards, Recommended Practices and Procedures covering the technical fields of aviation."
Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
"... to protect the environmental rights of all people.... rights to clean air and water... and a flourishing ecosystem."
International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (ISDR)
Secretariat, Task Force.
"... to enable all societies to become resilient to the effects of natural hazards and related technological and environmental disasters..."
European Commission (EC)
Environment >> Climate Change
"... one of its four main roles ... is to negotiate international agreements, mainly those relating to trade and cooperation."
Southern Africa Transport and Communications Commission (SATCC)
Sub-sectoral Committees >> Technical Units >> Meteorology
"... establish an adequate transport and communications system to allow other areas of the economy to develop..."
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC)
Disaster response, Disaster preparedness
"... humanitarian organisation ... its activities focus on health, disaster response and disaster preparedness."
SUB-REGIONAL OFFICE for Africa (Nairobi, Kenya)
Mr Mark MAJODINA