Under the authority of the INFCOM management group (MG), the GCW-AG will provide overall coordination on the application of cryospheric sciences, including but not limited to observations, data management, data utilization and applications, to the activities related to the terms of reference of the Infrastructure Commission; it will function under the general terms of reference of advisory groups and carry out relevant tasks, to:
(1) Guide, oversee, and monitor the implementation of the GCW Pre-operational Plan approved by EC-73, reflecting the priorities established by the eighteenth session of the World Meteorological Congress (Cg-18), with a focus on the integration of cryosphere observations into the WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS) framework, the access to cryospheric data through the WMO Information System (WIS), and the utilization of data and integrated cryospheric products in the Global Data-processing and Forecasting System (GDPFS) framework, aligned with the needs of specific services;
(2) Provide advice to the INFCOM MG on the integration of cryospheric information for the delivery of the objectives of the WMO Strategic Plan, including in the engagements with SERCOM, the RB, the Joint WMO-IOC Collaborative Board (JCB), and all panels of the EC;
(3) Establish the necessary time-limited Expert Teams and Task Teams to carry out the activities of the pre-operational plan, within the available resources;
(4) Contribute to the delivery of the WMO Operating Plan on all aspects related to cryosphere by working directly with the relevant substructures of the Commission;
(5) Establish and maintain mutually beneficial engagements and facilitate the exchange of information on the cryosphere among scientists and practitioners and between operational and scientific communities of Members and partners, aligned with the scope of work;
(6) Provide technical guidance, assistance and advice to Members and regions in developing and implementing national and regional plans on matters relevant to cryosphere and within the scope of GCW;
(7) Seek opportunities for leveraging resources through joint activities with Members, partners, and other WMO initiatives, e.g. the Global Hydrological Status and Outlook System (HydroSOS), addressing common areas of development.