WIGOS operational plan 2020-2023
During 2016-2019 WIGOS was in pre-operational phase. In January 2020 WIGOS became fully operational.
The primary focus in the initial operational phase is on the national WIGOS implementation, supported by Regional WIGOS Centres (RWCs), the implementation of the Global Basic Observing Network (GBON) and the Regional Basic Observing Networks (RBON).
In the operational phase, high priority is given to assisting WMO Members with development and implementation of national WIGOS plans, with special emphasis on the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States where the needs are the highest.
The Plan describes the objectives and main planned activities for the initial part of the WIGOS operational phase, beginning with the eighteenth WMO financial period (2020–2023). The Plan was developed in accordance with the Strategic Plan (WMO-No. 1225), Resolution 37 (Cg-18) - the WMO Integrated Global Observing System transition to operational status commencing in 2020, and Resolution 38 (Cg-18) - Vision for the WMO Integrated Global Observing System in 2040, Resolution 47 (Cg-18) - Ocean observations in support of Earth system prediction and WMO support to the Global Ocean Observing System Strategy 2030 (including the Tropical Pacific Observing System 2020), and Resolution 50 (Cg-18) - Pre-operational Phase of the Global Cryosphere Watch.
The document outlines the initial operational capabilities of WIGOS to be in place by 2020, and it describes the main activities that are planned to take place from 2020 and beyond in order to further develop the system during this next period. The activities are structured in six main priority areas, namely:
(1) National WIGOS implementation, including necessary capacity development, partnership agreements and integration of observing systems for all application areas;
(2) Fostering a culture of compliance with the WIGOS technical regulations;
(3) Implementation of the Global Basic Observing Network and the Regional Basic Observing Networks;
(4) Operational deployment of the WIGOS Data Quality Monitoring System;
(5) Operational implementation of regional WIGOS centres;
(6) Further development of the Observing Systems Capability Analysis and Review (OSCAR) databases.
- World Meteorological Congress: Abridged Final Report of the Eighteenth Session
Resolution 37 (Cg-18) (WMO-No. 1236)
- EC-73-d04-2(1)-PLAN-WIGOS-OPERATIONAL-PHASE-approved_en.docx (Note: The Final Report from EC-73 not published yet)